Two Postdoctoral Researchers in Enzyme Engineering or Biocatalysis Aalto University, School of Chemical Engineering.
Formic acid is discussed as an alternative form of hydrogen storage. Our concept is to convert CO2 + H2 directly to formic acid via next generation formate dehydrogenases. Our overall goal is to find, express and engineer formate dehydrogenases to become extremely acid-tolerant. To achieve our goal, we established a consortium involving:
- Biochemistry (postdoc with Prof. Silvan Scheller, Aalto)
- Catalysis (postdoc with Prof. Jan Deska, Aalto)
- Environmental genomics (with Dr. Malin Bomberg, VTT)
Position 1: “Enzyme engineering”:
The postdoc works on the interface towards environmental genomics, with the goal of bringing extremophilic enzymes alive. Key tasks include expression of extremely acid-tolerant formate dehydrogenases, assessment of enzyme parameters in vitro, and to control function via enzyme engineering to push the limit of acid tolerance.
Position 2: “Biocatalysis”:
The postdoc works on the interface towards catalysis. Key tasks include the fundamental understanding of which structural factors control enzyme-activity, directed evolution, to create enzyme cascades for CO2 reduction to methanol, and to exploit enzyme promiscuity for the synthesis of formate derivatives.
Qualifications / Requirements
To be eligible, you need to:
- have a PhD in a suitable field, such as Enzyme engineering, biochemistry, catalysis, organic chemistry
- be highly committed to science and strive for excellence
- develop own smart ideas and think independently
- be able to focus on solving tough scientific problems
- have good written and oral communication skills in English
Skills, knowledge or interest (Preferable):
- Enzymology, protein purification
- Directed evolution
- Anaerobic biochemistry
- Spectroscopic methods (X-ray crystallography, NMR, EPR, Electrochemistry)
- Organic chemistry/synthesis
The application should include the following:
- Cover letter (start as follows: “I am interested in this position because… “)
- CV, incl. list of publications
- Research interest description
- Names and contact details of references
All materials should be provided in English as pdf files through the online recruitment system.
|Fellowship amount||As per regulations|