Volkswagen Foundation offers Post-doctoral Fellowships in the Humanities at Universities and Research Institutes in the US and Germany
Scope of Funding:
In the context of this initiative, the two foundations cooperate with several universities and research institutes of excellence in Germany and in the USA.
Postdoctoral Fellowship in Germany
Deadline: September 11, 2018
- This call addresses promising young scholars in their postdoc research phase currently based at institutions in the USA, who seek to strengthen their research capacity in the humanities.
- Scholars who work in an interdisciplinary field are especially encouraged to apply.
- Applicants must have completed their PhD after 1st October 2011.
- Duration: 9 – 12 months for the A.Y. 2017/18. (Fellowship can be of up to 18 months ; in exceptional cases)
- Starting month for a fellowship: August or September.
- Fellowship: 2,100 Euros/ month; international health insurance, visa, travel expenses (2 return flights U.S.-Germany-U.S.), conference participation (preferably) in Europe
- Rent/additional living costs: 1,000 Euros/month.
- Fellows may also apply for funds to cover small technical equipment (limited to up to 5% of the total budget), consumables (research and work-related), literature, etc.
- Foundations provide a maximum of 3,000 Euros for administrative costs for the host institution/department as well as a total sum of 10,000 Euros for a workshop to be organized by the fellow.
Postdoctoral Fellowship in US & Canada
Application deadline: September 4, 2018
- This call addresses promising young scholars in their postdoc research phase currently based at German institutions (via employment), who want to enhance their research skills in the humanities.
- Researchers who work in an interdisciplinary field are especially encouraged to apply.
- Applicants must have completed their doctorate after 1st October 2011 (PhD must be completed by the time of application).
- Duration: 9 to 12 months for A.Y 2018/19 (can be up to 18 months).
- Applicants must be employed by a German institution, which will grant them leave of absence for the duration of the fellowship.
- The grant will be made to this German institution, which is then also responsible for administering the funds.
- Grants cover a monthly salary as paid by German universities at the time of application; approx. 66,000 Euros; international health insurance, visa, travel expenses; conference participation (preferably) in North America,
- Rent/additional living costs: 1,000 Euros \month
|Country||USA and Germany|
|Subject areas||Humanities, Social Sciences|
|Eligibility||Open for all nationalities|