Wellcome Trust offers Pathfinder Awards to fund pilot projects that address an unmet medical need or offer a new solution to a problem. The Lead applicant salary is not offered. Level of funding is £100,000 to £350,000 (max limit in exceptional circumstances only). Pathfinder Awards can last up to 18 months
Eligibility and suitability:
- distinct projects from applicants in the UK and Republic of Ireland
- partnerships between academia and industry based anywhere in the world
- concept applicants are testing must be at an early stage, with a strong and defined project focus
- At the end of a Pathfinder Award: innovation must be a credible asset that’s ready for further development
- Applicant must be ready to apply for more innovations funding or have a downstream partner to assist with product development.
Academic organizations: All no-profit research organizations are eligible. These organizations must sign up to wellcome grant conditions.
Commercial organizations: Commercial organizations may apply either as lead applicants or as collaborators.
Partnerships: Wellcome encourages partnership applications. Partnerships must include an academic or no-profit organization (as lead) and a commercial partner. If applicant is in a partnership, applications can be filed from anywhere in the world. If not in a partnership, applicant must be based in the UK or Republic of Ireland.
Partnership projects could:
- cover an aspect of product development related to any disease
- involve an established company that’s developed a product and taken it to market before
- help the lead organization access specialist knowledge and/or technologies that could improve their product
- After funding, a downstream development partner should be able to realize a public benefit.
- The development partner can be the company itself or a third party. Partnerships must show that they can support the research to this point.
Applications that focus on:
- discrete experiments to show proof-of-concept data assay or development
- a critical experiment to validate intellectual property (in strong cases)
- product development that benefits people with orphan and neglected diseases
How to apply
- Applicant must submit application through the Wellcome Trust Grant Tracker (WTGT).
|Fellowship amount||Mentioned above|
|Eligibility||Open for UK, Ireland and International (conditions) applicants|
|Deadline||20 June 2016|
For Further Details: Click