The Ghent University Global Campus (GUGC) is an integrated campus of Ghent University, Belgium, and the first European university to be part of the Incheon Global Campus (IGC) in Incheon, South Korea. Ghent University Global Campus is inviting applications for full-time PhD position in Department of Environmental Technology, Food Technology and Molecular Biotechnology.
About the position:
- Assist his/her supervisors in teaching undergraduate courses at Ghent University Global Campus, Korea (statistics, bioinformatics, and/or mathematics).
- Conduct (applied) research in the area of machine learning, with a particular focus on applications in plant biotechnology and plant phenotyping, (for example, but not limited to) furthering existing research lines with regards to 3D modeling of rice plants in a greenhouse setting(e.g., plant growth analysis, plant modeling, …).
- Assist his/her supervisors with tasks in ongoing and future R&D projects.
Duration: 2-year contract, renewable (max. 6 years)
Starting date: May 1, 2019 (negotiable)
- Applicant must hold or expected to hold (by September 2019), an M.Sc degree in one of the following disciplines: Statistics, (Applied) Mathematics, Computer Science, or Electrical Engineering. Exceptional candidates from other science/engineering backgrounds will also be considered.
- Applicant must hold a strong statistical background, a good knowledge of mathematics, and a high level of comfort with computer programming (e.g., C/C++ and/or Python).
- Applicant must be highly motivated to conduct (applied) research in the area of machine learning.
- Applicant must have experience with machine learning/computer vision tools (e.g., TensorFlow, PyTorch, OpenCV); with R.
- Applicant must have an excellent academic track record and possess an excellent command of English (a minimum score of 80 on the TOEFL iBT test), both written and orally.
- Knowledge of the Korean language is a plus.
- Applicant must have at least 3 years of relevant work experience in case the candidate does not have the Korean nationality (visa requirement Korean government).
How to apply
Following documents (in English) are required with the application:
- Motivation letter
- Full resume (CV), including at least 2 references
- Copy of the BSc and MSc degrees
- Transcripts (overview of study results)
- A PDF version of the master’s thesis may be requested at a later stage
- The documents must be merged into a single PDF file and sent to Arnout.VanMessem@ghent.ac.kr (subject line: Full-time PhD Position in Biotech Data Science). The candidate will receive an e-mail confirming receipt of the application.
Statistics, (Applied) Mathematics, Computer Science,, Electrical Engineering
|Eligibility||Open to all nationalities|
|Deadline||March 31, 2019|