PhD Scholarship in Metagenomics at the DTU Health Tech
DTU seeks qualified candidates for a vacant PhD position in the Metagenomics group within the Section for Bioinformatics. The scholarship will start as soon as possible.
The goal of the PhD project will be to shed light on different aspects of the importance of viruses and/or plasmids in bacterial evolution and develop necessary tools in the process.
Project Description: Examples of projects could be:
- Develop a sequence assembler specialized in extracting viruses from metagenomes in collaboration with clinical human gut microbiome specialists
- Develop a Machine Learning Model to identify clinically relevant antibiotic resistance genes in metagenomes in collaboration with international experts
- Explore the role of horizontal gene transfer in general microbiome evolution.
Candidates must have a two-year master’s degree (120 ECTS points) or any similar degree with an academic level equivalent to a two-year master’s degree, ideally in computer, mathematics or biological science.
Ideally, the candidate should have some of the following qualifications:
- The language of communication at DTU is English.
- Excellent problem-solving skills
- Proficiency in a programming language (C++, Ruby, Python etc.)
- Experience in bioinformatics and knowledge of genomics
- Expertise in next-generation sequencing
- Expertise in machine learning
- Expertise in viruses, plasmids and/or mobile genetic elements
Duration, Salary and appointment terms
The allowance will be agreed upon with the relevant union. The period of employment is 3 years.
Applications must be submitted as a single PDF file containing all materials to be given consideration. To apply, please open the link “Apply online”, fill out the online application form, and attach all your materials in English in one PDF file. The file must include:
- A letter motivating the application (cover letter)
- Curriculum vitae
- Grade transcripts and BSc/MSc diploma
- Excel sheet with translation of grades to the Danish grading system
Deadline: 27 May 2020
|Organization||Technical University Of Denmark (DTU)
(DTU Health Tech)
|Subject areas||Computer, Mathematics or Biological science|
|Fellowship amount||As Per Regulations|
|Eligibility||Open to all nationalities|
|Deadline||27 May 2020|