The Fritz-Haber-Institut (FHI) within the Max Planck Society (MPG) is inviting applications for a PhD position in Liquid Microjet. The position is available within the Liquid Microjet group (PI: Dr. Bernd Winter) at the Department of Molecular Physics (MP). This is the ERC-funded project AQUACHIRAL and will add sensitivity on the chirality of hydrated molecules to photoelectron spectroscopy, with immediate relevance to biochemistry and chemical reaction science.
About the position:
- The selected student will demonstrate the influence of the handedness of organic molecules (amino acids, sugars) on their photoemission properties, thus establishing a novel technique, liquid-phase photoelectron circular dichroism (PECD), for research on chirality in aqueous solutions.
- Applicant must hold degree in Physics or Chemistry (MSc level), preferentially with a specialization in either Atomic and Molecular Physics or Physical Chemistry.
- Applicant must have strong experimental background, proven skills to work in a complex laboratory and willingness to participate in beamtimes at synchrotron radiation sources outside of Berlin.
Apply online and your application should include:
- CV and Letter of motivation,
- Description of previous research and work experience,
- Contact details of two potential referees.
|Organization||Fritz Haber Institute of the Max Planck Society|
|Subject areas||Physics, Chemistry|
|Eligibility||Open to all nationalities|
|Deadline||February 23, 2021|